Friday 20 March 2015

WED'ZE X Warm Ski Base Layer Review

This is a review of the Wed'ze W Warm Ski Base Layer which I've used for winter mountaineering and hill walking. 

Pic from the Decathon site

The mix is 20% merino wool and 80% polyester. Inside, the base layer has a brushed 'fleecy' type feel which is great against the skin.

The fit is very close and fairly athletic, so just be aware of that if you're slightly oversized. It is slightly 'loose' around the stomach are and is quite a long baselayer, so this is helpful if you want or need to tuck this in to keep the warmth in! 

Although it's a snug fit and not particularly articulated, I didn't find it restricted my movement in any way. Having some merino content I found that it didn't pong at all, despite a few days of intense use in the hills. Merino isn't brilliant at wicking moisture away, so I'd say that it may not be as good as other fibres at removing moisture from the body. But I did work this pretty hard!

Under the arms and slightly down the sides, the material is a wee bit more 'meshy' which really helps with breathability and is a nice touch. I got the baselayer in blue / white and it's a nice stylish top too if that helps you. There are white 'cuffs' which extend a bit and can cover the wrists which is nice - but then get a bit more mucky with the white - but a small point hardly worth considering!

I also like the half zip and pretty good cut on the neck which helps keep things warm but doesn't poke into your neck like a cheap softshell I once bought did! 

The best thing is that in March 2014 (date of this review), this is only £17.99 (plus delivery of £3.99) which makes it a brilliant bargain. Sometimes even cheaper too!

Again, I actually really don't like showing my face - but on a real wintery climb up Halls Fell, I was only wearing a softshell and this baselayer and was fine (I was moving fast). Only walking via another way on the way down did I put on proper mitts and a belay jacket!!

Scrambling up Halls Fell with axe and crampons needed!

A wee update (March 2015) is that this was worn in some very serious winter weather recently. Hail storms, snow and brutal winds and spindrift meant this thing was pushed to its limit and it was amazing. Wearing just this, a 100 weight polartec fleece and a Gore Tex Pro hardshell I was even a bit toasty at times going uphill ! Highly recommended and tested!

No comments:

Post a Comment