Saturday 21 March 2015

Scarpa Manta SL Activ B1 Boots Review

The Scarpa SL Activ boot - a cracking leather boot that's as tough as, er, old leather. This has been a boot I've used for four winters now and it's still going well.

Update Jan 2018 - I have upgraded to a pair of B2 La Sportivas to get a better fit for my foot (very narrow heel and wide front foot). But I still use these in non-snowy wet weather and on the moors.

Scarpa Manta SL Activ boots up near Helvellyn

These have been my go-to winter boots. They're quite a heavy and hefty pair of boots which is great for durability but not for fast and light movement! I actually chose them because they were (a) reduced and (b) fitted and (c) were leather without the Goretex liner that every other boots seems to have (fair enough to use one, especially can help in the cold, I just didn't want it...)

Nicely polished with Scarpa's HS12 cream - spot the military training!

These are B1 compatible only (so only C1 strap-on crampons need apply). But in use with my 12 point Climbing Technology Nuptse crampons, these have been amazing. Even without, they've kicked some pretty good steps and been utterly reliable. These have gone up snowy and icy ridges like Fiacaill Ridge in the Cairngorms, Hall's Fell on Blencathra and Striding / Swirral Edge and front-pointed without any problems.

The boots coping well with winter scrambling Halls Fell with some interesting conditions

Of course, fit is everything with boots so the best thing to do is to get your boots fitted properly by people at shops like Taunton Leisure, Cotswold, Gaynors etc. They'll help the boots fit properly! These boots fit very well but I do use a different lacing system (shown below) as I find a wee bit of heel slippage.

Click to show the lacing system

The leather does mean that you will scuff up the leather etc but the leather on these boots is so tough and thick that I wasn't worried about this. With careful attention (HS12 cream) the leather also means these breathe well and stay waterproof naturally. The only moisture I've ever had is on the inside through perspiration.

Slight scuffing on the boot
The leather does mean that you will scuff up the leather etc but the leather on these boots is so tough and thick that I wasn't worried about this. With careful attention (HS12 cream) the leather also means these breathe well and stay waterproof naturally. The only moisture I've ever had is a slight amount on the inside through perspiration.

Oot and Aboot (for the Canadians reading...)

Finally, I removed the footbed which came with the boot and replaced with a Grainger's trek footbed. However, I did find even that and some thick socks didn't stop my foot (under my big toes) from getting slightly blistered (nothing bad). So I would recommend getting a proper footbed like the green Superfeet.

The sole has worn well, as has the rand around the boot - a great feature

The boots have been used over four winters around 40 times and have climbed, scrambled, walked and waded through snow, rock and water (they've also been used at other times of year too!) So I'd say they're holding up very well (few scuffs into the leather now - January 2018). These are not B2 compatible unlike my La Sporitvas. However, don't let them hold you back.

But for UK mountain walking, hill walking and scrambling, these are brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Only slight downside is their weight. But hey, it helps you get fitter!!

Great pair of boots. Try them, get properly fitted and kitted and they'll serve you well, even up to grade II winter scrambles and easy climbs with the right crampons on!

No comments:

Post a Comment