Saturday 31 May 2014

Marmot Tempo Softshell Review

What is a softshell?

Top of first part of Lord's Rake

Some say it's a marketing ploy. Others say it's a great piece of kit.

Basically it's another layer in your outdoors kit arsenal that provides some wind resistance, varying levels of insulation but usually fairly thin and something that is water resistant, dries relatively quickly and is incredibly breathable. They are often pretty resilient material too! The key word is usually 'breathable'.

The Marmot Tempo ticks all the boxes and is without doubt one of my favourite pieces of kit. The Marmot site says it is 521.6g in weight so it isn't ultra lightweight. However, it does what it does extremely well.

I've worn this all over the place in all kinds of weathers and have found it to be ultra-breathable and very durable indeed.

The Tempo is part of Marmot's range of soft shells and comes in their M3 range of clothing.

"M3 Softshells are the most breathable softshells in the collection, best for high aerobic activities in drier, milder conditions."

This means the Tempo excels when you're moving fast especially in fairly dry conditions. I've worn this piece of kit scrambling, climbing, walking and more. I love it.

My version of the Tempo has a slight 'two-tone' effect as you'll see in the picture of me below, pulling a ridiculous face (and holding a tissue for some reason) in the car park near Wasdale Head.

Wasdale Head looking ridiculous - me, not Wasdale...

The top left of the Tempo has a small pocket for valuables. The Tempo also has two easy to access pockets that I'd say are semi harness compatible. 

You'll see on the Marmot site that the top only has 4/5 and 5/5 reviews. People extol how breathable it is and that it's pretty wind resistant and I'd say amen to that. I've had no scuffs or anything in some varied use and that's a testimony to the fabric. It's not the absolute hardiest fabric but for me it strikes a great balance. 

If I were winter climbing more in this jacket I'd be tempted to go to the M2 fabric which is hardier, although less breathable. For the UK climate, I'd say the Marmot Tempo is a perfect top!

In terms of sizing, it's a regular and accurate fit. The top is slightly 'athletic' in terms of fitting. To give you some idea, I'm 5'11" and have an athletic type of build (not a lot of fat praise God). The medium fits me perfectly!

Top of the first part of Lord's Rake

No comments:

Post a Comment