Saturday 31 May 2014

Bear Grylls Long Sleeve (Half Zip) Base Top Review

So a baselayer is a baselayer hey?

Well, pretty much, yes. But there are some differences.

This review is of the Bear Grylls half zip baselayer (made by Craghoppers).

Close-up of our strange pose (well, me at least...)

For some reason, three of us decided to strike a pose near the top of Scafell and this is my 'third' of the picture - showing the Bear Grylls baselayer in all its glory.

The baselayer is a polyester one. To my knowledge there's no 'anti-pong' treatment to it as you get with some baselayers.

In use it's absolutely fine and no better or worse than most baselayers. I did found it made me feel slightly warmer as especially in the top half it's got a slightly 'closer' fit than some. Bu that's good in terms of wicking potential, getting that moisture out more quickly!

So the downside. The downside is a very poor fit. A few years ago, England football team brought out a red shirt which was very tight around the shoulders and quite loose around the lower half. This top must have had the same designer. The top doesn't quite have enough room around the shoulders, but has way too much material for the lower half. This means moisture won't wick so quickly but I guess does allow the breeze to blow up your back!

I'm a medium and wearing a medium in the picture. I'd suggest that the design was made on someone with small shoulders and with a very large belly as that's the kind of fit! Maybe I bought a second, not sure. The top has been upgraded recently but with this one I'd recommend trying on first.

However, in terms of baselayer performance it is perfectly adequate!

The silly pose

No comments:

Post a Comment