Saturday 31 May 2014

Bear Grylls Survivor Trousers / Pants Review


So the Bear Grylls trousers have been in my kit bag for around 3 years or so now. Overall, they're lightweight, pretty breathable and pretty tough too.

Here's the manufacturer's spec:
  • Fabrics: SolarDry polyamide supplex with stretch panels
  • Weight: 450g
  • Active fit
  • Drying loops
  • 9 pockets
  • 2 with zip-fastening
  • Tough supplex combined with stretch panels for unrestricted movement
  • Heel tape
Stock image


And here's my impressions...

The trousers are very solidly built. I like the reinforced areas around the bottoms of the legs, the crampon protection (although I'd probably recommend gaiters as well if using in snow). There are pockets on either side and on both legs. Polyamide is a strong material.

However, the pockets on the legs of my version aren't quite big enough to easily hold a laminated (active) OS map. It does fit, but it's a bit of a squish (unlike the Craghoppers equivalent stretch / Craghoppers Kiwi originals)... 

Another downside that existed in my version (since corrected I believe) was that my 'waist' pockets were made of 'parachute' type fabric. This has unfortunately meant it's worn through (with keys / compasses / penknife etc) in there at various times. I believe the newer version pockets have stronger material.

The inside of the slightly mauled pocket


The material itself does seem durable and the stretchy parts are such an asset, having had the original kiwi crag hopper trousers (which are good for what they are, but not great). The reinforced areas are really well reinforced and this does help hold down the trousers on the 'shoe' area.

I was recommended to get the waist one size above my regular size when I purchased them (by online reviews on the Craghoppers site) and this was a good call. My legs are usually somewhere between the 29" and 31" sizing which many trousers seem to come in and these are no exceptions in terms of length.

The other thing about them is compared to say the brilliant Kiwi Stretch trousers, these Bear Grylls ones are noisy to wear and noisy when you move - they rustle, unlike the stretch pants... If this makes any difference.

However, they do look quite good (and a bit like the Montane Terra pants). I paid £25 for these and that was a good fair price. I expect them to last a while. I'd like the legs to be slightly longer but hey, you can't have everything!!

In use 'in the field' (well, on a fell)

No comments:

Post a Comment