Friday 9 January 2015

Tips, tricks, miscellaneous kit plus non essential kit that makes life easier!

Just a fun post on some of the things I carry (not always) plus some little things I've found that make life a bit more comfortable! This is by no means complete, I may well have left a number of things out and it's not suggestions for what you need as really lots of this is just 'padding' ! Just get out there into the hills and enjoy...


Miscellaneous Kit I Carry

1. A penknife. I've got a couple - a small Leatherman and a Swiss Army Huntsman knife that I take on more serious trips and overnighters etc.

2. Packet of tissues. Usually carry a pack of these. They're lightweight and essential in windy conditions!

3. Whistle. Usually have one of these (never had to use one though!)

4. Don't always carry a first aid kit. What I do take is an antiseptic wipe or two, some microporous tape or zinc oxide tape. I used an old 'photograph film' case and wrapped some gaffa tape around that for various uses. I then have a little (old vaseline tin) which carries a couple of plasters and various things like ibuprofen etc. A couple of cable ties are also very useful, as are elastic bands.

5. I carry some paracord and / or a couple of spare shoelaces, just in case!

6. I've also started using a 'wrap-around' waterproof case which has been well-used in the British weather to protect my phone!

7. A Buff or neck scarf thing - always good. A buff or similar has many uses and is lightweight!

8. Always carry a silver survival bag thing. Occasionally the orange one.

9. A sitmat is a great addition - it can help keep you dry and warmer and more comfy when sitting.

10. I use P20 suncream which can stay on for a long time without needing to be re-applied. I actually use suncream / moisturiser with SPF15 to protect from wind.

11. In Summer months (and especially in Scotland), you need Smidge! Or similar!

12. I occasionally use an Ortlieb map case - the best you can buy!

13. Dry bags. I've almost taken to using them anyway to organise kit.

14. Sunglasses!

15. I also take 3 spare contact lenses in a case.


Extra Navigation Aids

1. If I'm going out for serious navigation I take a spare compass!

2. I usually take a photo of my map as well on my phone. I've also got Viewranger 1:50k on my phone as a backup (of the National Parks).

3. I also bought some speed and timing cards from shavenraspberry.com which are great. Then I also have a slope angle tool from the same site. The site also carries a grid tool for 1:25k and 1:50k maps. The same kind of thing is found on compasses but this is a killer tool for helping with micro nav (an addition for 1:40k maps would be ace).

4. I also bought a wee counter clicker thing from ebay to help with my pacing count.

5. A waterproof mini notebook, a waterproof pen and / or a chinagraph pencil.


Extra Miscellaneous Kit When Camping

1. Head torch with spare batteries. In Winter, a spare head torch as well. Obviously in winter in the  I take a head torch as part of my regular day trip kit too!

2. Spork (or two!) Amazing bit of kit and I even take one when I go on holiday anywhere!

3. Anti-bacterial soap in a mini container.

4. A lighter and/or waterproof matches / cotton wool.

5. Lightweight backpacker's trowel (for toilet-ing!) Plus extra tissues and ziplock bags!!

6. Proper paracord.

7. A small trek towel (Coghlans).

8. Portable mini toothbrush - you can stash toothpaste in cling film.

9. Inflatable pillow.

10. Glo-stick (occasionally)

11. A camping mirror (highland lightweight unbreakable one)


Other Useful Kit / Non-Essentials 

1. A flint-steel thing. These are just cool to start fire with - fun to take some cotton wool to spark (without old man's beard or things like birch bark to fluff up).

2. Maybe some binoculars or a waterproof camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment