Friday 20 June 2014

Craghoppers Compresslite Packaway Jacket Review

Having read a huge number of reviews on the Go Outdoors site and then one blogger's review of the jacket I thought I'd check it out. So I tootled down to the local Go to check out this insulated jacket which was in the sale (plus my Go Outdoors Price Match). Ended up getting this for £26.97!

NOTE that Craghoppers seem to have slightly updated this jacket (2016), although whether it's more than just a facelift and colour change I'm not sure as Craghoppers website doesn't seem to give much information which is very disappointing.

The deal is this - I get cold in winter when I stop. I get very hot when I'm on the move but quickly get cold. So the question was whether to get a thicker belay jacket, acquire a gilet/vest like the Haglofs Barrier or Rab Generator etc. Or get another insulated jacket.

The tasty price was the main temptation in checking this out. The cheap price also made me thought that if I were to wreck the jacket etc I wouldn't be as bothered as my £100 Flux jacket.

Craghoppers info here (updated 2016) - http://www.craghoppers.com/compresslite-packawy-jacket-spblu-dpcblu-0-9.html


UPDATE (26 June 2014) - I have now tried on, bought and regularly used the Compresslite in large (see below)

The Fit

Some of the reviews on Go Outdoors make mention that this top is a little on the small size. I would say this is a fairly accurate description but just to help focus that overview. You can definitely get a baselayer and softshell underneath, but the arms are where the top is too tight.

I'm a medium in most things and initially tried one of these in medium. While the fit is reasonable, like other Craghoppers items, the shoulder area feels a little tight and restricted. The rest of the body of the jacket is perfect except the slightly restricted shoulders also aren't articulated (for the price, you wouldn't expect this to be fair).

This is something I've also found on my Bear Grylls baselayers (and my Craghoppers shirt) and it's something I'd love to see changed, to benefit Craghoppers. The Montane fit can be a bit like this but for example trying on the Montane Prism (I guess the equivalent to the Compresslite), the fit was much better and more articulated and certainly a way more balanced fit generally than Craghoppers.

Sleeves

Most quality jackets come with more fill on the body than the arms but not so the Compresslite.  This meant that the sleeves were very tight due to the insulation packed into the arms. The arms were just too tight for me personally.

I did not keep a medium, but sized up to a large which has been a much better fit. If you intend to wear anything other than a baselayer underneath the Compresslite, you will definitely need to size up.

The Stuff Sack

A number of people have expressed difficulty in putting this jacket into the stuff sack. I must admit I've had absolutely no problems at all.

The Material

The material on the outer is polyester (as with the rest of the top) and feels pretty durable but isn't ripstop material.

On the inner, the polyester and the tightness of the sleeves made me wonder how breathable the top would be (I suggest not very), so if you get this it'll be more for stops than walking in. If you want an insulated top for walking in, I'd suggest you go for the (more pricey) Montane Alpha Guide or anything with Polartec Alpha in.

A shout to the zip which has a 'zip baffle' behind it to avoid it snagging. Nice one Craghoppers. The pocket also has a stuff sack to put the jacket into.

The Hood

The hood is elasticated and just about right. A drawcord would make a huge difference and it's something I'd recommend to Craghoppers to consider. However, the equivalent jackets like the Rab Xenon (three times the price) also has an elasticated hood. Never the best looking things and won't go over a helmet but not intended to so no worries! I have found that the hood isn't great at staying up in high winds!

The Cuffs

The cuffs are elasticated and have just the right amount of give in them. This was unlike the Montane Prism cuffs which felt like they were going to cut off the blood supply from my hands!

Conclusion

For the price that this jacket can be found for (around £30-£50) you won't find anything better. If you're after a great reasonably warm and reliable insulated jacket, you really can't go wrong. If you want to wear other layers than size up! For me this is not a true winter belay jacket for the mountains but it's a great backup and a very reasonable lightweight insulation jacket.

Suggestions

My advice to Craghoppers is to re-think their fit around the shoulder area and to consider reducing the fill on the arms to less than in the body. For example most similar tops if they have a 100 weight fill will have a 60 weight fill on the sleeves. Craghoppers probably need to do the same.

UPDATE (26 June 2014) - The Compresslite in large is much better for my medium frame on the arms (without being too long). It is also much better on the shoulders. However, the jacket is then a bit too large around the torso area and requires the toggles to be done up to avoid it flapping about. The hood is slightly too big and I'd be a bit concerned about it blowing down in our strong UK winds.

UPDATE (11 July 2014) - I've now used the Compresslite out and about in the field. It's a great and useful little jacket to keep the cool 30mph wind out and some sharp temperatures which I experienced on Yes Tor (pic below). It's not a breathable jacket (not designed for this) so this is a stop (belay, although pockets not located to go above a harness) type jacket and it did its job for this. I wouldn't use just this in the Winter personally as it wouldn't be warm enough but for what it is, it's perfect.

UPDATE (January 2015) - Having taken this out in more wintery weather, it's important to express the need for a warmer jacket in colder temperatures. I would say this is an excellent top for Spring and Autumn days when you need another layer for stops. Perfect for this and for slinging in the pack or in the car as a great extra layer.


2 comments:

  1. Best review on the web! You didn't sugar coat and you told it like it is. Based on your review, I will purchase this jacket for my 12 yr old son and will be getting the small. We live in southern California so we won't be dealing with freezing temperatures anyways. We might make a trip out to the mountains so I'll just have him layer up! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete