Tuesday 3 June 2014

Berghaus Mens Tech Tee Long Sleeve Zip (2011 version) Review

I have a few baselayers picked up in the last few years.

My favourite and 'go-to' baselayer is my Berghaus Long Sleeve Zip. I believe the updated version has a slightly different material.

Sometimes you have reviews that show the reviewer out in the field with the posed and other action shots. Not so with this review, sorry. But this is still a worthy review as this has travelled with me all over the place and been used under various items of gear and as a stand-alone top. It has stood the test of time.

The front of the baselayer and collar / zip

Like the current range, this top is a half-zip, two-toned affair. All using the same material (97% polyester, 3% nylon with silver 'argentium' lining). You can see that the fibre has a slightly 'porous' look which really does help with breathability (see pic below).

Looking close-up on the fabric

I do like the half-zip tops as it does allow more breathability (open those zips and show that hairy chest!) and of course the zip allows a bit more neck protection esp when those sun rays hit from behind. OK, so you still want a buff or sun hat but it helps!

The baselayer is a fairly basic affair but covers all the bases. I find that it dries very quickly and has served me very well under softshell, insulated layer or waterproof.

One thing that's worth noting is that I have read some reviews on baselayers where people have had problems with the baselayers tugging but I haven't experienced this. I say this from experience from mangling a HH baselayer Tugs and pulls often happen with rucksacks where the wearer lets the pack move around a lot or has a pack with an abrasive back (I got rid of an old Lowe Alpine pack because of this problem). So that may be a help to others...

The back of the baselayer with the arms folded




No comments:

Post a Comment