Tuesday 29 October 2019

Review of Karrimor X-Lite 8L Running Pack

This little running pack has been a brilliant add-on to my list of 6 rucksacks...

Sadly as of the time of writing, Karrimor have seemingly stopped making this little beauty. No idea why, although they are doing the 15L version still...

It was on a trail run in 2017 when I decided I needed a smaller lightweight running pack. Trying to run with a strapped down 32L pack became quite comical - almost as comical as my fitness level trying to run up a scree slope and mountain that day...

"I must get a running pack" I kept on repeating, convincing myself that this was obviously the key to my improved running times... Fitness and training may work for some, but for me it's getting a running pack... Or something like that.

Attempting to keep up with a friend up the scree

The pack has a top opening (on the picture below, the zip runs around the black material), a space for a small hydration bladder (inside the pack at the back as usual) and a front zipped pocket. The Karrimor logo is reflective and the small bits of material that hold the yellow bungee also have reflective elements. The hydration bladder can run out of the pack to the back left or right which is useful.

To the rear of the pack there is a mesh bit which won't do much but it really doesn't matter with a running pack. There is a 'waist belt' of sorts which is enough to help keep the thing attached to you when running, as well as a chest strap. Two zip up side pockets are great and the mesh outers just about hold a 500l water bottle but only just.



Inside the pack there's enough for me to stash a drink, some food and an insulated layer.

The outer material is lightweight. It is ripstop but I have slightly damaged my pack on the front as it's not designed to be super-resilient. Still, it's nothing that McNett tape won't fix (I've had that stuff on an old rucksack and gaiters for years without it coming off!)

Recently I've even used it for cycling, stashing a fair bit of kit - repair kit, pump, food, lightweight chain, repair tools, extra layer. Definitely not its intended use but it had more than enough room.

This cost around £8 or so when I bought it in 2017. For running it's perfect. I can't see why it's been discontinued or why anyone would use a 15l pack except doing longer runs or ultras. And then I'd probably buy a more features and well-known pack anyway, just in terms of reliability. For what it is, it is brilliant.

I'm not a gear snob but (as always) the low price does make me think about where it was made and the conditions of the workers (let alone the poor quality conditions of Sports Direct staff and the allegedly questionable business practices of its management). That aside this is a well-featured running pack and for the average amateur runner needing a small pack it's perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment