Wednesday 18 September 2013

La Sportiva Raptor Trail / Approach Shoes Review

Update October 2017 - these are still going and doing incredibly well. Love them!

The trouble with Gore Tex and all 'waterproof' shoes is twofold:

1. They eventually leak or let in water and then what? Well, then the Gore Tex seals the water 'in' to the shoe, doh! Then it takes 2-3 days for the shoe to dry out.

2. You already have a hole in your shoes, often referred to as the place where you put your foot in. Now I'm not against being able to put your foot into a shoe, but eventually like all gear, even waterproof shoes wet out.

The third thing some people say is that having a 'liner' in your shoe (this is the waterproof bit) can also make your foot more hot and sweaty and this is true, although my feet 'run' cold so even in the height of the UK summer, my feet don't get too sweaty.

So with all this in mind I needed a shoe that was unlined (non waterproof) and due to my scrambling persuasion, needed to be able to grip on rock as well as acting as a walking shoe and have a sole that didn't get annihilated within the first 5 outings as some very grippy soles can do...

Enter the La Sportiva Raptor (applause please)...


I am normally just over a 9 in shoes. The La Sportiva have European sizing where a 44 is a 9 1/2 UK, a 45 is a 10 and a 46 is a UK 10 1/4... (I think). I tried the 44s but too tight, 46 a bit too big so it was the size I thought I'd needed but couldn't find. Fortunately Needle Sports (via UK Climbing website) came to the rescue just in time for a Lakeland trip. Out of the box, tried them on and fitted like a glove. Better fit than the Hedgehogs.


Above are the shoes 'live' in use sitting looking at Pike of Stickle in the Langdales, from a spot going up The Band. This was the second day I'd worn them and I did around 8 miles in the afternoon (around 5 in the morning) and they were brilliant.

The shoes are very light on your feet as you'd expect with the simple mesh. They are of course much cooler than the North Face Hedgehogs which have the Gore Tex lining. In terms of fit, they are slightly more 'boxy' than the Hedgehogs. At the front of the shoe there is a strong plastic toe box to aid your tootsies from bashing the rocks you tread or run on.


It looks very sturdy and in around 10 uses has so far held up very well. Around the edge of the shoe runs a plastic yellow band with the La Sportiva emblazoned on it very clearly (no-one will be asking what brand your shoes are, esp with the vibrant yellow!) This is the one area of the shoe I'd expect to 'go' first if I'm honest (the yellow surface 'paint' has already started to 'detach'), but time will tell !


To the soles.. The sole isn't Vibram but La Sportiva's own sole unit - 'Frixion' which is much more bendy and sticky than for example the slightly firmer Hedgehog sole. The lug pattern is much more consistent across this shoe which is aimed more at Trail Running. It also claims to have a 'Impact Brake System'. I'm sure there's a lot of thought and tech behind this, it's just that I don't know what it is!


Inside the shoe is the 'Fit-thotic' cushioning which I have to say works really well. Again, I prefer this system to the Hedgehogs.

So overall impression is that the shoe is a fantastic bit of kit. Of course, fit is very personal so try on a pair. This 'stable neutral trail runner' (in La Sportiva's words) is exactly that. Great shoe which I give 9/10. Long-term durability may not be quite that of the Hedgehogs which feel a bit more 'robust' but if you're looking for a lightweight unlined trail / approach shoe, you couldn't much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment